Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Renunciation


I am a novice to meditation and fairly ignorant of Buddhism, aside from sharing the generic generalizations that most of the western world probably shares (peace, chanting, an acknowledgement of wisdom and tranquility without much knowledge or first hand proof of these attributes).  The buddhist analogy for the word renunciation that I just read fits so closely with what I am beginning to experience internally, however, that I wanted to capture it before it flitted away (though I may find later that my ignorance of buddhism has led me to a peripheral or inaccurate interpretation of the concept).  I hope to experience this in a more physical sense, too, when I step free of CFS.

From an article on letting go (http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/2010/06/letting-go/):

"We can see the Buddhist emphasis on what is gained through letting go by how the tradition understands renunciation. While the English word implies giving something up, the Buddhist analogy for renunciation, is to go out from a place that is confined and dusty, into a wide open, clear space. It is as if you have been in a one room cabin with your relatives, snowed in for an entire winter. While you may love your relatives, what is gained when you open the door and get out into the spring, probably feels exquisite.

One of the nice things about letting go into something is that it has less to do with willing something or creating something than it does with allowing or relaxing. Once we know how to swim, it can be relaxing to float by allowing the water to hold us up. Once we know how to have compassion, there may be times when we not only let go of ill-will, but also let go into a sense of empathy. Letting go of fear, may then also be resting back into a sense of calm."

There are all types of directions I could take this line of thought, but as I am regaining my powers of concentration, I feel that baby steps are the right approach, so I'll let the idea rest for now in its own form.

No comments:

Post a Comment