Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chronic Fatigue Initiative....cool beans

I don't know how prolific is too prolific in the world of blogging.  I tend to get excited about things, then maybe a little fixated.  I also don't know if it's bad form to post things from another person's blog.  But I think both standards would fly out the window in this case, as it's just too exciting (though probably not so much for healthy people).

The blog I'm pilfering from is 'Learning to Live with CFS' by Sue Jackson.  I've only visited her blog a few times, but it's very well written and worth checking out.  It seems to be full of those, "yes! I know that feeling!" inspiring posts.

She posted her excitement about a new non-profit called Chronic Fatigue Initiative.

The links above to Sue Jackson't blog and to the group's website will fill you in and surely be exciting to anyone with this disease.  But in a nutshell, I will relay the fact that they have 10 million dollars already to put toward research and describe themselves as, "accelerating the medical community's knowledge of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome through research grants and collaboration."

Is this goal different than that of other groups seeking better resesarch?  I'm really not sure.  I haven't invested emotionally in much that I hear about cures.  I haven't seen any that really rise above the others in terms of feasibility or personal applicability.  My energy goes toward symptom management and coping skills.  But I am interested in reading research that contributes to the pool of useful knowledge. 

This is now my second mystery illness, having recovered from Bell's palsy.  There isn't money to be made in treating that one, so there's just really nothing out there.   CFS generates more funding by far, but not enough to date.  So this is good news to sleep on.

No comments:

Post a Comment