Tuesday, November 22, 2011

NHBPM Day 22 ~ Intoxicating presence

The NHBPM prompt today is about being present and showing a scence descriptively:

So the 22nd post – describe something with as much sensory imagery as you can. It can be scene (a peaceful one is what the original prompt said). What are the sights, sounds, scents, and feelings? Feel free to draw upon a particular story or moment or place that means something to you. Use lots of description and “show” instead of “tell” for this blog post.
On October 22nd I was standing in the shade between incredible women in my friend Cheryl's life.  We were controlling our giggles today, as compared to our unfortunate lack of self control standing in the same position at rehersal the day before.  Cheryl's sister and law and cousin, behind me, had been the worst initially.  Judy, in front of me, did well until I asked her if my boobs were crooked, at which point she and I were no better.  Especially when we let the other three bridesmaids in on the challenges I was having with the bra cups that some of us were considering using with our bridesmaids dresses.

But now, we were all standing side by side, lovely and primped in our dresses, trying hard not to cry as we watched the guests and Cheryl and Miguel's wedding pass a rose across each row of guests. Each person held it a moment and said a blessing before sending it on.  Both of my kids grinned and gave little waves when I looked their way, which made it harder not to cry.  Sniffles from behind me were making it hard, and I wanted to turn around and give her a hug, but that probably would have made it harder for her, not easier.

We were standing on red lava rocks on a raised portion of the garden on top of a vista overlooking San Raphael.  In Cheryl's posture and mannerisms standing up with her groom, I could see the Cheryl I have adored for years and in Miguel's face I could see the adoration I wanted for my friend.  I was so happy and entirely in the place and space where I stood.  Champagne and sun were helping me feel wonderful, but the moment and the people were truly intoxicating.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J
I am also participating in my Bread and Roses Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment